Design Calendar Functionality

Matt Easterday — General

Hey Andy -- looks great and nicely scoped. I think you may be able to take out the sharing part of the calendar and just use the privacy settings for the project/workbench as a whole (for now). Talk to Dan and see this pivotal task: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/77231268

Andy Rench - I think that could work for now. I'll see what Dan thinks.

Dan - Agreed - this is almost exactly the same thing in the users eyes.

Julian Bongiorno — General

Meta comment: This feedback was easy for me because I have a wide computer screen and was able to have two large windows open (one loft, the other the wireframes). MIght be a more frustrating experience for someone who has limited window space.

Andy Rench - I'm using a laptop and I'm pretty accustomed to flipping though applications to see what I need to see. I suppose someone might find that frustrating but I didn't think twice about it.

Julian Bongiorno — General

Maybe labeling each month with a high level objective can help teams stay accountable and on the same page. Having this conversation might also help them remain communicative and on the same page. i.e. - "September" "Goal: Establish relationships with 3 community partners and begin conducting observational and participatory research."

Andy Rench - I like this idea but goals seem more suited to the Workbench tab. The Calendar is really meant to simply manage time.

Julian Bongiorno — General

Is this a place where team members would put their midterms or other school projects? How does team health +work/life balance fit in to this tool?

Andy Rench - You can create your own calendars in the system. Right now the deepest level of privacy is the project team, but we could consider events that only you see.

Julian Bongiorno — General

I wonder how it would look if an event said its due date and also a countdown (in days) until that item is due - i.e. "Due in 9 days".

Andy Rench - We also have the reminders in the sidebar that could use that type of language.

Julian Bongiorno — General

To help teams, maybe being able to assign "point person" to each task would be beneficial and help with communications.

Julian Bongiorno - MIght be great to see a team members face next to their events. (accountability)

Julian Bongiorno — General

I like the calendars filter functionality a lot.

Julian Bongiorno — General

How does this calendar hold me accountable to deadline? What if my objective or deadline is initially too big to chew and I need to break it down into more manageable chunks - i.e. "Deadline to get community partner" cannot be successfully completed until "send out email to potential community partners," "follow up with potential community partners," and "Schedule visit to community partner location" are all completed. How does this calendar acknowledge or reward me for meeting deadlines?

Andy Rench - Right now it doesn't and I'd argue that it shouldn't. There is no shame shifting deadlines if they are not met, but I don't see the point of rewarding that behavior. It's just part of managing a project.

Julian Bongiorno — General

Maybe include deadlines that are coming up in the months following. What I think the calendar can be useful for is setting strict deadlines that force teams to make decisions and move on. In that, there is a need to be reminded of upcoming deadlines to be able to work backwards from. What I dont like about a month view like this is that in a default view, at the beginning of the month, you get a 30 day view of upcoming events and at the end of the month, your view is only a few days (unless you view the next month) and then its difficult for me to connect the dots between months if I can t see them both holistically.

Andy Rench - Maybe instead of a month it's a 4-week snapshot? I agree that the month view isn't ideal, but there is something to be said about familiarity in an interface. The month view is a UI design pattern pretty much everyone is familiar with.

Julian Bongiorno — General

Maybe include meeting goals? I often have a difficult time remembering why meetings were established from on meeting to another especially if they are a few weeks apart.

Julian Bongiorno - I often include a link to a google drive file in the description of an upcoming meeting if I plan to reference the notes during that future meeting.

Andy Rench - I could see the use for a meeting description area and attachments/links.

Julian Bongiorno — General

Not sure if it will be possible, but i like it when the dialogue boxes are movable around the screen so that I can see what is behind it to reference as Im creating an event.

Julian Bongiorno — General

I like it. It might be nice to see how the different list items are threaded or related to each other from month to month. On that note, a month is a long time and (for me) is difficult to conceptualize given that time frame. My gcal is set to view in 2 week chunks. I know many people that view in "week" view but very little that use a month view. Might be an interesting research.

Andy Rench - It might be nice to have both view options.

Matt Easterday — General

Is it going to be hard for Sergio to create events that span multiple days or durations?

Andy Rench - I can add that into the design.

Matt Easterday — General

I’m assuming that everything after page 3 is for version 2?

Andy Rench - I didn't realize we wanted to push off all functionality but we certainly can. It seems that the majority of the UX questions that are coming are related to functionality on pages 3-6. Should I shelf all that for now and keep it simple?

Matt Easterday - If I remember on Tuesday, I think the idea was that you would think through the whole thing now, but that we would just implement the basic features for now, and circle back to the extras later. For example, if there are basic features that are needed now so that we can implement the skeletons later, we want to think through that now, even if we don't have time to do the skeletons this week.

Andy Rench - That works. I'll continue wireframing all features.

Matt Easterday — General

what if you make a mistake adding a template and you want to delete all those events?

Andy Rench - Delete is an option on the Edit Template modal. We could have that actually delete all the events.

Andy Rench - And in the next version that will be called something like "edit skeleton", but maybe a different name.

Matt Easterday — General

what if you want to change the start date of an event template after its created?

Andy Rench - You should be able to in the "Edit Template" modal. In the next version I'm going to change that name to something else that signifies that your are editing the "skeleton" not the "template".

Matt Easterday — General

how does people work for multiple events? Just leave it blank?

Andy Rench - My thought was that you'd go into each event after the schedule has been published and add the data. But you're right, you may want to have the same people on all events on a schedule. I'm fine with that option but I'd rather not have people options for each event you add in this modal. The interface will start to get really weighty for a modal. We could just have one area for people for the whole schedule.

Matt Easterday - for syllabi, it would be totally fine to not have people because the people change each time you use it

Matt Easterday — General

still need to set options on events, for example, class meetings would need time (10am) repeating (e.g., “monday & wednesday") and location (e.g., Annenberg 303)

Andy Rench - Agree. I will add this.

Andy Rench - I'm also reconsidering my answer on this one too. The 'add event' form is already getting really large and I'd rather keep the interface for meeting details separate from creating the schedule. I know it creates a 2 step process but I think it's actually the more natural way of thinking through a schedule. First you plot out all the dates and then you think through the details of each. I'm worried that we're going to create a monster interface with too many options if we add options to the schedule creation form.

Matt Easterday - that's probably good. How would that work for repeating dates? would they show up in the skeleton? For example if I have "class meeting" that repeats each week, does that just show up as 20 events or just 1

Andy Rench - It would just show up as one event with a repeating value. That one may be worthwhile to add to the interface for building a schedule though because it directly pertains to plotting out dates.

Matt Easterday - cool

Matt Easterday — General

the add events needs to be able to specify a date relative to the start date. For example “midterm exam” would occur 5 weeks after the start day. “final exam” would occur 10 weeks after the start date.

Andy Rench - If we want to do it that way then I think we should remove the durations. I think it would be confusing to have both options.

Matt Easterday - I think I'm still having trouble understanding. IF you create the schedule without the relative to start date, what date would those events happen on? Would they all happen on the start date?

Andy Rench - You would always have a start date, but each event would be a duration from the previous. For example, "event 1" would have a duration of 2 weeks from the start date and if you set the duration of "event 2" to 3 weeks, the date would be 3 weeks from the end date of "event 1". The skeleton is more flexible if you are only setting the time spacing between individual events.

Andy Rench - I also realize this may be a terminology confusion as well. I didn't mean 'duration' to mean how long the meeting lasted, I meant it to be the span of time between event dates.

Matt Easterday - ohhhhh, OK, I'm back on the same page now

Matt Easterday — General

I think the “add multiple events” might need a different name (i original guessed that was going to be for repeating events). Maybe something like “add a schedule” or “plan events”

Andy Rench - I like “plan events”

Andy Rench - I'l go with Add a Schedule instead

Matt Easterday — General

how do i know if an event is part of a template? (or is that not necessary?) Once an event is on the calendar, is it still part of the template or is it just copied to the calendar?

Andy Rench - The idea is that when you edit a template you'd see all the events in order in that modal. I was thinking that would be the only place you'd see it. Events will always be part of the template even after they've been added.

Andy Rench - I was originally thinking that "templates" and the "skeletons" would be one and the same but I may need to separate those terminologies. I don't like "skeletons" though. I don't think people would get that. Any other suggestions on what to call that?

Matt Easterday - schedule?

Andy Rench - I like that.

Matt Easterday — General

I didn’t understand the “don’t adjust dates of upcoming events”. If that’s for every event from a template, I don’t think that quite works because you might want to move say the “midterm” event but not have all the events after it move. Or you might want to change all the repeating “class meeting” events but not the midterm

Andy Rench - The idea was that by default, if you moved a date and it was part of a skeleton then it would automatically adjust all dates. If you checked “don’t adjust dates" then only the event you are editing would move and all the others would stay the same.

Matt Easterday - I'm having trouble imagining this. SO if I have a schedule like: (a) event 1 Mar 1; (b) event 2-March 15; (c) event 3-March 30. And then I move "event 2" to March 17, what happens to the other events?

Andy Rench - If you have the “don’t adjust dates" checked on then "event 2" would simply move to March 17 with no other changes. If you have “don’t adjust dates" unchecked then "event 2" moves to March 17 and "event 3" moves to April 1. Basically by clicking the checkbox you'd make a move independent of the skeleton but by default it will not be checked and moving dates will affect all the skeleton dates.

Matt Easterday - oh i got it -- the duration is the offset from the _previous_ event, not the start date. I was assuming everything was relative to the start date. I'm not sure which is better...

Andy Rench - Well, I have the feeling others may have the same confusion as you. I'll try it setting dates relative to the start date.

Andy Rench - The more I think about this I'm not sure if skeleton dates relative to start date will be all that useful. The more likely use case to me would be that you need more time to finish a particular task so you'll move the date of that task thus shifting all the deadlines after it. If everything is relative to the start date then you can only move the skeleton as a whole by changing the start date.

Andy Rench - And if we keep it as the offset between events then I think we'll still need the “don’t adjust dates" checkbox. I think maybe it should say something like this: "Change date without shifting future schedule dates" and have it right below the date field.

Matt Easterday - I was actually thinking of the skeleton more for class syllabi, where you have to put in like 40 dates, and copy it every quarter. Not so much for replanning on the fly

Andy Rench - Yes, I think it works for that use case but what about creating skeleton templates for a series of activities in a process step? I could see a lot of date moving around in that scenario.

Matt Easterday — General

I’m guessing that you want to hide/share calendar categories not specific events. Might need a different modal for editing the calendar category, e.g., set color, follow/share, etc.

Andy Rench - I think your right. Hiding/sharing categories will be more useful than specific events.

Matt Easterday — General

Repeat will need more options, e.g., end on/after. Google calendar’s options are really good. It would be nice to select multiple repeat days, e.g., “class meeting” is a repeating event and happens on Tuesday and Thursday

Andy Rench - Agree. I will add this.

Matt Easterday — General

I think events should have durations too, e.g., is this a 15 minute meeting or a 4 hour meeting?

Andy Rench - Agree. I will add this.

Matt Easterday — General

(Like) events and todos all on the calendar

example: Sep 25 2018, next week, 10/2/2018