Kelly D'Angelo — General

Will only science teachers attend your inservice?

Kelly D'Angelo — General

Things may have changed since my time out of the classroom, and certainly depends on the state, but if I recall correctly, some sort of speech class is required in secondary ed. If not, speaking and listening are part of the CCCS. This goes back to my first comment about partnering w other teachers to determine "what does good civic argument or good scientific argument " (Easterday, 2016, right now) mean.

David Rapp — General

Really nice answer to Spencer's question about why you would study teachers instead of students. Your starting point justification makes clear sense. #nice

Sarah White — Simplified Argument Critique: Audience

I think you skipped over why knowing differences between arguing in science and arguing in civics is important in your brief overview (identifying the DESIRES of stakeholders even though it might be obvious that "society" is a stakeholder)

Kelly D'Angelo — Simplified Argument Critique: Mistakes

You say that you want to "prepare students to be scientists or not be scientists and navigate world w science perspective" (not direct quote)- but I wonder how you will get kids thinking about what "science" is? My experience, and even reflection on my very own perspectives, is that the general conception of science and being a scientist renders images of beakers, microscopes, and lab coats. Now, more than ever, science-related professions are increasingly diverse and ubiquitous. I could be off topic, but wondering how introducing kids to petroleum science, or vision science, or learning science, or environmental science, etc. and what exactly those are, may help kids conceptualize these arguments.

Sarah White — Simplified Argument Critique: Task

Good clarifying that you want to teach teachers (or teach teacher trainers) as a result of what you learn from your research study

Sarah White — Simplified Argument Critique: Study

Study: figuring out teachers' thinking about these two types of arguments

Sounds like a good, small but informative, step!

David Rapp - I would replace small with tractable.

David Rapp — General

Figure out how teachers think about things - good, tractable first approach to get at the issue. Would like to see the justifications and problems focused around that issue.

Allena Berry — Simplified Argument Critique: Study

Is there research out there on how to teach students about "being a scientist" vs. "being scientifically literate"? Because if there isn't anything there, that could be your small first step. Although it actually sounds quite big.

Sarah White — Simplified Argument Critique: Task

Learning task: help teachers help students to see special aspects of arguing within and around science

Think about why it is hard for teachers to teach this; not just why students have difficulty learning it IF you're focusing on teachers

David Barel — General

I agree with Chris's feedback. It sounds like you have several questions in mind.

David Rapp — General

This seems to be about learning to argue (interpreting and producing, presumably), but it gets a little confounded with the opening ideas of teaching science content versus skills. I wonder if setting these up as competing goals creates a framing that leads me to expect a particular kind of project, but you are not interested in competing issues - you are interested in supporting argument training in content domains with real world practices...I think...

Spencer Carlson — Simplified Argument Critique: Audience

I think the learner = students in science classrooms
teacher = science teachers
stakeholders = teachers, society (via standards, we care that students can be science-literate citizens)
research audience = science ed researchers (Journal of Science Ed and the others you list)

#good !

Spencer Carlson - okay, so actually your learner is the teachers - and it's clear in your writing and you probably said it clearly in your presentation - I just missed it

Allena Berry — Simplified Argument Critique: Research question

Could the research question be scaled down and say: What is the effect of teachers comparing scientific argumentation to other types of argumentation?

Christopher Leatherwood — Simplified Argument Critique: Research question

I feel like I heard three to four different questions you posed. Which one is most important to you?

Kelly D'Angelo — General

This is interesting- and I hear the term "argumentation"- which sets off my English teacher alarm. I wonder if there is room here to partner with an English teacher in the school? My thought here is that this may free up some more time in the classroom for exploring principles and maybe... addressing misconceptions!

Christopher Leatherwood — General

So the argumentation can be separate from science classrooms? If so then transfer can happen between content and beyond it.

Tyler Lindow — Simplified Argument Critique: Task

Arguing about science or practicing science? Maybe the same thing, but perhaps stick to one terminology

Sarah White — Simplified Argument Critique: Audience

Distinction between teaching "how scientists come to know science content" versus "science content" sounds like a great starting point

But then I got lost with whether you were focused on teachers' or students' skills

David Rapp — General

Project consideration: memorizing science ideas versus learning how those science ideas were generated or how those science ideas compose broader science understandings

example: Jun 26 2019, next week, 7/3/2019