Critique Assignment2

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Mistakes hard to fix?

Maybe if you make it clearer what the goal is (TOEFL score or English proficiency), it may be clearer what solution you should have?

David Rapp — General

This project seems very amenable to a DBR approach.

David Barel — General

First of all, I relate to your problem case, I've seen a lot of people in Israel struggling with learning English as a second language, and specifically for Standardized tests (TOEFL, GRE, SAT...).

What I infer from your proposal, is that the issue is in the strategies learners use. You suggest that either the strategies aren't effective, or that the teaching methodology the Koolearn uses isn't helping learners execute those strategies.

I think peer learning environments can be very effective learning settings. However, I don't see a direct link between the strategies not being good ones and the peer learning environment. Provide us with stronger evidence as to why peers would make those strategies better or better implemented by learners.

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

Trey: How can you integrate talking about the reading strategies with the online peer community?

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

Chris: Maybe focus on one solution so that you can see what has any effects - because you have a lot of solutions

Spencer Carlson — General

David - the solution you propose might not fit with the problem that learners struggle with long sentences.

Mingze's response - online communities help me to get answers to questions I have about long sentences I don't understand. Also, if I see anyone else post a question it will encourage me to figure out the meaning so I can help others.

David - so if I focus on that issue of breaking down difficult sentences ... if teacher or lecturer isn't addressing long sentences maybe they should do that. It seems the main issue is teaching long sentences - Koolearn needs to add instruction.

Spencer Carlson - ...whereas it seems you are proposing to help students learn new strategies like consulting communities of peers — except they can't use that during the test

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

I'm still concerned that peers might not be willing to be as helpful as you ideally think they are. #lookout

Trey Smith — General

In terms of the solution, I am wondering about what seems to be different components of the solution: peer learning, tutoring, and explicit instruction about specific aspects of making sense of complex sentences and texts. I'm wondering if you might focus on one of these components.

Gulnaz Saiyed — General

Allena: characteristic 2 is a good solution because it seems different from everything else
David: it seems like the main issue is long sentences -> I'm not sure if a learning environment or an online environment is directly linked to that problem. the problem might be in what they're learning and implementation, and I'm not sure why peer learning would change that issue.

Gulnaz Saiyed - Why will peer learning help solve the mistakes you include earlier?

Allena Berry - Mingze, you should look at online collaborative communities to support this solution.

Kelly D'Angelo — Practical Argument: Solution backed by literature?

I wonder in what form the feedback will take place?

David Rapp — General

Lots of practical ideas - seems like there would be a lot of literatures you might need to think about. Can they be specified or reduced to make the project more tractably approachable in a design? But perhaps you are confident this is doable.

Tyler Lindow — Practical Argument: Problem important?

How important is this problem? How widely used is the program?

Sarah Gates - I was just thinking this, are there other programs which use a better feedback system and peer learning already?

Sarah White - I agree that, in order to clarify why the problem is important and general, you need to explain how much Koolearn is used relative to other programs

Spencer Carlson — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

If you can't get Koolearn to work with you, you might not be able to do this project.

Also, creating online communities can be really difficult from scratch. You might consider using an existing online community for your purposes.

For example, creating Facebook groups of Koolearn students would be a way to do what you propose without working with Koolearn and without having to make your own community, which would make this more feasible.

Kelly D'Angelo - Agree. But all is not nearly lost. I think this brings to light a really great point with language learning programs. I am in the nascent stages of my Rosetta Stone spanish, but right now, when I get things wrong, I don't always understand why I did. And so, I don't learn from my mistake.

Kelly D'Angelo — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

When teachers analyze those questions to determine why learners are not understanding the readings, what metric will that analysis employ

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

You have proposed a lot in your solution. I would suggest focusing on one specific aspect of your solution. You can't solve all of the problems at once or know how each new piece of your solution affects reading scores independently if you do all of them at once.

Spencer Carlson — Practical Argument: Solution backed by literature?

Nice design ideas, they are specific, grounded in LS theory, and clearly target the reasons for learners' struggles.#good

Christopher Leatherwood — General

Is the tutor function not available as of right now?

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Problem important?

Problem clarity: "understand" is a very broad word
The problem you have defined is still very long, not concise

Kelly D'Angelo — Practical Argument: Learner mistakes important?

*Very interesting topic
*Wonder if it was only reading scores that didn't improve?
*Seems like it (above)
*For the "why do people make these mistakes", seems like there are some ideas from our reading that can be incorporated: schema, background knowledge, cognitive overload
*Because I don't know anything about Koolearn, I think it is an online program, but then I see there are lecturers. Could you clarify for those who are unfamiliar with the program?
* I see the idea of learning something many times and don't get it right, they give up. I also feel like you could pull from our readings this week that talk about repetition of tasks. Seems like in this case, they may do it many times, but there isn't substantial feedback in between tasks, so the repetition is futile.

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

I think the providing learners with support from peers and online tutors seems to be the biggest area where you could make a big change to how the website is currently set up. I would focus on that solution. #nice

Trey Smith - Agreed. I'm thinking that the problem involves a lack of feedback on answers...and it seems that peers and tutors can provide this feedback.

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Learner mistakes important?

Getting a low reading score isn't necessarily a mistake; the mistake is more about what things they get wrong.

You did a good job outlining why they make the mistakes; just say that those mistakes that you explained are the mistakes. Then you need to explain more about why learners care that they make these mistakes

Christopher Leatherwood — General

The Problem is very clear with relevant examples.

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Learner mistakes important?

I think the answer to the question, what mistakes do learners make that someone cares about?, makes a convincing argument for why students care (#good), but I do not have a clear idea yet what the mistake is (#lookout). Is it that students who use Koolearn have low TOEFL scores? Or that they aren't proficient English speakers when TOEFL says they are?

example: Sep 20 2019, next week, 9/27/2019