Learning Goals

We want feedback on our learning goals

• Specify what learners should be able to do

Matt Easterday — Goals: Classification

Don't forget to classify your goals as recurrent/non-recurrent/to-be-automated. #roadblock

Matt Easterday — Goals: Struggles

forgot to say #lookout

Matt Easterday — Goals: Expertise

Expertise developed in expert model, so #good

Matt Easterday — Goals: Struggles

One thing I'm worried about with the performance objectives is how far down the hierarchy are you planning to go? From the expert analysis, it looked like you were going to focus on the top level phases (equivalent to Rob's one pagers) but in the Goals document, you went down to the technique/method level. Either one is fine, but it was odd that the expert model and performance objectives were different. So you should either revise the expert model to match the current goals, or simplify the goals so they match the expert model. Remember that you can also specify performance objectives from the expert model that are "not taught"

Matt Easterday — Goals: Alignment

Overall the goals are well aligned with your model and organizational needs #yay.

Daniel Rees Lewis — Goals: Expertise

Hey guys -- I know that you're half way through assessments, but be sure to be specific in terms of describing what learners can and can't do. It's helpful to think about how you will actually measure it. So for example how will you know all of the following in prototyping: "thinking about usability, safety, sustainability, manufacturability, branding, accessibility, and cost of their solution." You might want to pare this one down a little bit as getting at all of these things + that the prototype is connected to earlier user research might be a lot. #warning

Robert Calvey — General

For the wording, DFA makes a concerted effort to treat community contacts as 'partners' not 'clients.' That distinction definitely muddies the waters a little bit when it comes to Identifying a problem need and defining good goals. Could you replace the word 'client' with 'partner'? I get an icky feeling when I say DFA teams have clients and I feel that would happen to staff too? #warning

Aliza Stein — General

overall awesome job, excited to see where this goes! #nice #yay

Aliza Stein — General

I said this in person but maybe thinking about giving everyone who completes a challenge a badge, but have people who do an exemplary job get badges with stars and have them be helpers. This way if I'm designing something not only do challenges make the process less intimidating but I also have someone to turn to for help. It incorporates social aspects into the design. #trythis

Ruben Echevarria — General

After earning a badge, is the person eligible for a promotion within the group or do the badges serve as that internal/external promotion?

Abigail Stein — General

Think about what you main goal is...is it having DFA students identify and enjoy the design system or is it actually learning the DFA design process? #lookout

Abigail Stein — General

I think you need to think more about what would motivate DFA teams to complete these badges...are they going to be fun? #lookout

Aliza Stein — General

I love doing brainstorm sessions but even if i know how to do that I'm not sure I'd know how to define measures of success or how to define design goals...how does brainstorming teach me that? #warning

Aliza Stein - Oh now I understand better--try framing performance goals in terms of challenges and not in terms of the entire design challenge. Then I understand I do this challenge, I learn this thing, and then I get this badge.

Abigail Stein — General

think about attitudinal things that you want DFA people to have as well #lookout

Abigail Stein — General

what is your criteria for getting the badge? you need to map this out #trythis

Aliza Stein — General

When do you get a badge and when not?

Aliza Stein — General

So many performance goals and so few assessments? Your performance goals should match your assessments? Why don't they? #lookout

Aliza Stein - Oh it's not done yet! No worries!

Abigail Stein — General

this is very good! #yay

Aliza Stein — General

Some of your assessments are very specific #yay but others have more flowery language. Be careful when your assessments don't include a clear idea of how the idea will be assessed. For example: "Moreover, they are expected to be examined by building prototypes while thinking about usability, safety, sustainability, manufacturability, branding, accessibility, and cost of their solution." How will you know that they are thinking of those things if what they are doing is building something? I might be missing something but it might be good to include in the assessment a written statement that addresses how and why these ideas were (or were not) included in the design. That seems to be an easier way to try and assess this. #soclose #trythis

example: Dec 13 2019, next week, 12/20/2019