Allena Berry In-Class Critique Assignment 2

Spencer Carlson — Practical Argument: Problem important?

I know this problem is important because I can make the link that students in high-income schools often go on to be powerful people in society so we (evidence = standards) want them to understand race and power dynamics so they can make good decisions based on correct understandings of history

David Barel — General

Answering the first question of "What mistakes do learners make..." -The mistake presented is that they aren't raising the issue of race and power. The rest of that paragraph explains what the issue of race and power is to the discipline of history.

If teachers are trying to raise this issue, then the mistake isn't not raising it in class. It is a mistake they make (or made) when they tried raising it. For instance, focus on those things that are making it difficult for teachers to raise the issue. Emotional and cognitive things are good (on the teachers' part). Another reason could be class management, I'm sure there is literature on the hardship of raising political / social issues in classrooms. The last possibility may be that teachers are afraid of retaliation from students or their parents, and perhaps there is a design issue here not so much a teaching issue. If this last issue is the case, I would argue that teachers need to design their studies in a way that incorporates the parents or perhaps finds a way to mitigate any resistance from parents.

Trey Smith — General

Also, with regard to the learning task: I would push for you to consider a range of possibilities to which to apply the lens of race and power. You spoke a lot about applying the lenses to making sense of historical events and documents. Cool. Makes sense. I'm thinking about the C3 Framework, though, and am wondering about other aspects of social studies and particularly Dimension 4, which includes "taking informed action." As Matt mentioned, it's probably necessary to focus on a specific task. But I might, especially since you articulated your problem in terms of enacting social change, think about how these lenses support learning tasks beyond making sense of historical events and documents.

David Rapp - Several folks here will not know what the C3 Framework is, and what Dimension 4 includes or means by the phrase.

Trey Smith - Sure. The C3 Framework (or College, Career, and Civic Life Framework for State Social Studies Standards and have 4 dimensions. The National Council for Social Studies (NCSS) developed the framework. Here's a quick description of and link to the C3 Framework: http://www.socialstudies.org/c3

Trey Smith — General

I'm a little unclear about the learning task. I'm thinking there are two tasks: (1) students need to learn knowledge, skills, and dispositions (which you mention) related to literacies of race and power and (2) teachers need to learn how to teach these knowledge, skills, and dispositions.

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Learner mistakes important?

Problem Definition: You consistently bring the "learner" piece back to the teachers themselves, which I think is good.

#watchout for when you get to the learning from failure though

Trey Smith — General

Clarity of problem: It seems that you are interested in helping teachers help students develop racial literacy and explore issues of power. This seems clear to me.

Importance of problem: You write about preparing students to respond to and transform current social disparities. This is about making society better, which seems to me to be quite important.

David Rapp — General

Clear obvious relations to contemporary issues in society - makes the problem clear and important.

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Problem important?

Great context provided, makes it seem like an important problem
Might be too detailed for the beginning of a full paper but good for something in the body of the paper

example: Nov 14 2019, next week, 11/21/2019