Week 3- Kelly

Description on 10/4

Allena Berry — General

I think that you have something good here so don't abandon it - this is only week 3!

I think that if you focused on Chicago teachers, how they think of 21st Century Literacy, and how that aligned to what they need to do for 21st Century, you would be closer to a Learning Science problem.

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Problem important?

Matt: LS can't tell you what you should learn (that's politics) or what things mean (philosophy), but you can take the skills in the common core, investigate what the literature says, or talk to your advisor.
David: You could have a project that is "this is a term that gets used in a lot of different ways. let's just go out and see what teachers mean" and you'd use LS interviewing methods to get their conceptions of the meaning and then take those definitions and then see if matches teachers' intuition

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Problem important?

Suggestion for LS-esque question: Looking at how teachers implement their definitions of 21st century literacy?

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Problem important?

I think that there may be some great potential for you to connect the English teachers to the technology piece of the 21st learning sciences.

Sarah Gates — Practical Argument: Learner mistakes important?

Do modern students have issues with 21rst century literacy? Ah...so this is a teacher issue? Is this just a matter of incorporating modern technology?

Trey Smith — General

As you look at resources about 21st century learning, I might look at what the Partnership for 21st Century Learning says: http://www.p21.org.

A note about politics: I'm not sure who's BEHIND the group, although I believe there are business groups included, which means some teachers and/or families might be skeptical of the organization. I say all of this just to point out that political concerns are very much part of this conversation. With that in mind, I would be hesitant to presume there is a neutral or agreed upon definition.

Matt Easterday — General

As a starting point, might want to look at 21st century skills; common core (technology aspects) and Disessas book on literacy OR just ask your research advisor what a good starting research question would be :-)

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

Why is one definition of 21st century of literacy necessary? Are there several good definitions that might be equally useful in helping teachers succeed at teaching/achieving this definition?

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Hard to learn from failure?

What if we just gave teachers a definition? Is this problem too easy to solve? #lookout

Sarah Gates — General

Does 21rst century literacy then broadly refer to any type of use or fluency with technology? Will the project focus on defining it, and why it's important?

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Problem important?

Who is expecting teachers to prepare students for 21st century skills? Are they being held accountable? If not, does it matter that they're maybe using their own interpretations to teach it?

David Rapp — General

So could I solve the problem by just coming up with a better definition or set of criteria of 21st century skills? Is that the goal?

David Barel — General

If so many sources have 21st century (literacy/ skills) in them, is there no definition of 21st century literacy anywhere?
Would simply having a good definition solve the problem?

I suspect that there probably is are good definitions of what 21st century literacy is. However, I agree that probably many educators (and researchers) don't have a good idea of what it is.

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Learner mistakes important?

The example of "using a computer" in classes was a good example of a mistake that was made because of the lack of understanding of literacy.

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Problem important?

I think the reading for 425 this week will really help you clarify what it is you want to do " A taxonomy for learning, teaching, and assessing: a revision of Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives. New York: Longman. (Ch. 1-3)"

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Problem important?

I think clarifying why a definition of literacy is necessary for teachers will help clarify the importance of your problem.

David Rapp — General

Why would teachers want to help students become proficient in 21st century literacies if they don't know what those are? Is this an issue with teachers being told to do something and not knowing what that means? Or do they have intuitions and understandings about what it means and can't figure out how to apply those understandings? Not clear. #tryagain

Spencer Carlson - I was thinking about this too -- I think the way you framed it (Kelly) was that teachers want to keep their jobs, so they want to teach 21st c literacy (or at least talk about how they use it), but they don't know how to use it.
The alignment isn't quite right here because teachers can currently keep doing what they are doing and advertise themselves as 21st century literacy teachers without actually learning new behavior.

Allena Berry — General

What is the link between Common Core and 21st Century Skills? You are making the switch a lot, but I don't know if it is clearly stated.

Spencer Carlson — Practical Argument: Problem important?

Is the solution just defining literacy in the standards?#warning

Spencer Carlson - (Based on how you were defining the problem talking about the standards) I don't think this is the case -- just be careful how you explain why teachers can't currently teach this way

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Problem important?

I didn't hear anything about technology before you mentioned it in the practical solution.

Is the role of technology in literacy a separate problem than the definition of literacy?

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Problem important?

I think the tension is clear: teachers are asked to teach something that they don't actually know what is. #good

Spencer Carlson — General

I think your problem is clear - to my understanding you are telling us "while teachers want to teach 21st century literacy, they don't know how"

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Problem important?

What do teachers already know about teaching 21st century literacy?
This will help clarify your practical problem, like knowing the initial state.

David Rapp — General

When people use the term "texts" in literacy programs, they don't necessarily mean written texts.

David Rapp — General

You've used the term research has said - do you mean logical arguments people have made or actual empirical data on the issue of 21st century skills. Not clear. #tryagain

example: Jun 26 2019, next week, 7/3/2019