Help with 1. Sketch the argument

As you can see, I switched my focus to what should be a more narrow, observable phenomenon. And it's a project that I hope to actually develop with a faculty member. I appreciated your feedback earlier, and look forward to your thoughts!

Allena Berry — General

Aireale (10/3)

A large part of your task assumes that participants in the Change Makers program gained something from their participation; How do we know that faculty have acquired any new skills? That might be the first step --> figure out how faculty are making sense of their experience in the Change Makers program. If you are going to use the evidence that faculty have reported their experiences and the knowledge they have gained accurately, you may find yourself looking for interventions in ways that may not have actually been taken up in the first place. I see a tension here between wanting to do something like program evaluation for Change Makers and wanting to contribute to the literature about what faculty actually learn from the Change Makers program. It's a tension that I think you can resolve with some more exploration of the literature.

The approach that you have for answering your research question - qualitative interviews - seems better suited for the comment I am giving above about faculty sensemaking. With that in mind, I am also going to suggest some of the following literature:

Leslie Gonzalez, "Faculty Sensemaking and Mission Creep: Interrogating Institutionalized Ways of Knowing and Doing Legitimacy"
^ This article may help you in understanding how, institutionally, faculty may have disincentives to implement what's being taught in the Change Makers program.
Borko, "Professional development and teacher learning: Mapping the terrain"
^ This may be helpful for you in understanding, broadly, how professional development programs are (or are not) taken up by teachers.
Other literature that might be helpful:
Promoting Racial Literacy in Schools: Differences That Make a Difference, Stevenson; hooks: Democratic Education; Freire & Macedo, A Dialogue; Race Among Friends

Aireale Joi Rodgers - Thank you for this feedback. I appreciate it- I think the focus on faculty sensemaking makes more sense in this context. I'll likely be revising my research canvas to reflect this change. Furthermore, I think this can be an interesting opportunity to leverage the work we are doing in HDSP 451 (Institutional Persistence and Change). I just looked at the citations for the Gonzalez article you referenced and there are a few authors listed that we have already read in 451. It's exciting to see how these strands can work together and inform each other! Have a great night!

Danielle Shiv — General

I agree with Jeniece on her ideas but I'm also wondering what's happening in the Change Maker space that maybe isn't translating for these instructors as tools to be implemented. Is there an instructional issue in their own training?

Is the change maker retreat an active solution for the issue of transferring learnings into the classroom? (just curious, or is its stated purpose a networking event?)

For method, maybe consider watching some of the change maker programs, and then what happens in the classroom. Maybe the challenges aren't that the teachers aren't trying to implement tools, but classrooms aren't giving the right environment to implement?

Aireale Joi Rodgers - Thanks for this feedback, Danielle. Here are my responses to these questions:

1. In my view, a shortcoming of the program is that there is not an explicit focus on training around inclusive pedagogy. They do a lot of personal work on changing dispositions and attitudes that theoretically change practices, but we're not sure exactly how. So that's a core part of the interviews we hope to do.

2. Great question! Definitely passive- it's an opportunity for folks to come together and some of that stuff happens intuitively. It definitely needs to be more intentionally integrated into the programming, though.

3. That's a great point. For this first version of the program, I think we want to take an exploratory approach. I hope we could scale up to conducting classroom observations to look at what's actually happening in the classroom. One thing that concerns me about this survey is that it's very susceptible to self-reporting bias so a follow-up would be necessary.

Jeniece Fleming — General

Love your idea!

1. Interested in knowing how you can assess whether Change Makers have acquired new abilities? That would then better help you determine how they are using those new abilities. #LearnerMistakesAndChallenges Maybe there already is an answer to this question. Perhaps there is a survey after the training that assesses whether they have learned something from the retreat/workshop. #nice

2. Are there a set of "best practices for integrating skills and dispositions acquired from Change Makers into their pedagogical practices" that are agreed upon by the field? #LearnerMistakesAndChallenges #FixableRootCause

3. Just a thought -- you can check the journals you have listed as the research venue to see what articles have already been written about the topic. Or, does the University of Michigan, who has an established program, offer literature on what they have done?

All of your fixable root causes are in fact fixable! #yay#good

Aireale Joi Rodgers - Great feedback! Thanks so much for these questions- here are my responses:

1. Changemakers does pre and post tests surveys with all participants so there is data around what they believe they learned and gained from the program.

2. That's a great question- I don't know that this currently exists, but I will be exploring this in the literature review.

3. Great point- I'll be sure to do this.

Garrett Hedman — General

#yay Great meeting with you! (Test complete)

example: Jul 20 2019, next week, 7/27/2019