Introductor Argument

I don't know if I did this right -- please help!!

Sarah White — General

The idea of just teaching something in a new way to make it more engaging reminds me of "chocolate coated broccoli" without making the goal (achieving math standards) that they're working towards more palatable. Not sure it's relevant to your chosen argument but just something to think about #warning

Kelly D'Angelo — General

Trey--- are you asking of why are we teaching these math standards if the only reason that we teach them is b/c they are in the standards?

Trey Smith - I think that's an important question, yes.

David Rapp — General

Matt: focus on one agent at first

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Solution backed by literature?

To follow up on Trey's question: What purpose does math mastery serve? Why do we need children to even do well on that?

Gulnaz Saiyed - To make it about the teacher: why should a teacher convince kids to teach math standards? Maybe math standards are wrong and kids need to learn something else? Need to convince us that mainstream math practices are useful and necessary for all kids.

David Rapp — General

increase engagement to increase learning

Gulnaz Saiyed — General

I asked about what the framework is. You just added that the problem with culture is scale - culture is experienced differently, some lived experiences might be universal.

David Rapp — General

Chris: difficult to define culture - difficult to define experiences - some lived experiences are general

Kelly D'Angelo — General

Interesting that the student or teacher are the 2 choices for the problem agent. Is it out of the question to think it would be external to these 2? especially when I hear "standards" repeated, can we go to the root of those--- (non teacher or student)

David Rapp — General

"If it's done bad - it's harmful" - great point, and we often don't hear about instructional approaches that are being offered as potentially having problems #nice

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Solution backed by literature?

Matt says you have three potential arguments:
1) how do we get it to work in math
2) how do I learn how to teach it
3) student one - I need to learn math and this framework might help me do that

David Rapp — General

Chris: Not everything needs to be culturally relevant - that's super interesting and way more nuanced than we often hear - would be interesting to hear more about this kind of continuum view

Spencer Carlson — General

David Rapp: you have all this rich understanding of why this is a problem, make sure that comes through in addition to the bit about standards.

Also, wonder if there's something about the math content - hard to connect to people's lives and make it relevant. In math, think about doing proofs, what is relevant about that?

Chris: not every lesson has to be culturally relevant - you just want a framework you can put these lessons through

Sarah White — General

Showing why culturally-relevant teaching is beneficial in other contexts can come through more, but good connection! #nice

Sarah White - *culturally-responsive. Sorry. Wait now I'm confused if these are interchangeable

Kelly D'Angelo — General

what is an example of one of those standards that has no bearing on "the real world"

Trey Smith — General

Under Step 3, Question 1: I'm wondering about whether families care? I mean, I think they do. I but I also wonder about possibilities for resistance to culturally responsive math curricula, which may be seen as less rigorous (which is a term I have a lot of problems with, but I don't know a better term to use here.)

Tyler Lindow — General

What does the literature on math in sociocultural context say? (connected to topics like English and history)

Trey Smith — General

Excited about what appears, under the surface, to be a questioning of why/how we teach math. This is much needed!

Sarah White — General

What about culturally responsive teaching itself is difficult to learn? Separate from the transition to using it being difficult.
#lookout

David Rapp — General

Presentation was fast. Can you slow down?

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Problem important?

How does cultural responsiveness work in culturally diverse classrooms? This is a problem that might become bigger as we become superdiverse and maybe move toward further de-segregating public schools

Allena Berry — General

STEP 2: Unclear what you mean by literacy. Do you mean math literacy or word problems? Not sure.

Kelly D'Angelo — General

Interesting that you want to incorporate more literature to math instruction. I am wondering why this is- is it because it makes the connection more relatable?

Trey Smith — General

I'm wondering if your agent might not be a teacher. I'm curious about what you mean by "mastery"? Does mastery look different in a traditional classroom compared to a culturally responsive classroom? I'm also wondering about the possibilities/pitfalls of colonizing students' lived experiences by imposing math; this is a critique that (I think) Gutierrez from UCLA has written about.

David Rapp — General

modifying curricula is exhausting #preach

David Rapp — General

Can you give some examples of sociocultural examples to be applied in classrooms?

Sarah White — General

Considering a different agent (people implementing a culturally responsive framework) might strengthen the argument because it makes it more active; it could also bring up additional questions.

David Rapp — General

How easy is it for teachers to overcome standards-based expectations passed down from administration?

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Solution backed by literature?

Culturally responsive framework works well in other contexts, but also has been critiqued/built upon (culturally sustaining, for example). How has this framework been used in LS specifically? #lookout

Spencer Carlson — General

#tryagain I think you can edit "Agent" to be about a person (teachers, for example). And then the action is that teachers use the framework.

David Rapp — General

Is it possible to incorporate lived experiences into math lessons? Are there examples where this has worked in math or in other domains?

Trey Smith — General

Excited about MATH!

Gulnaz Saiyed — General

#yay for going first

David Rapp — General

Looking forward to this presentation Chris!

example: Jun 26 2019, next week, 7/3/2019