Tyler's Feedback Practical/Research Arguements

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Solution backed by literature?

SOMEBODY'S QUESTION (NOT SURE WHOSE): What does the literature around "transfer" say that makes you think that the decentralized exhibits would work?

Gulnaz Saiyed — Practical Argument: Problem important?

David: maybe make it smaller - does putting the exhibit in your own community make it feel more relevant than if you saw it in a museum?

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

Chris: your problem solution may not work because it might have the same problems as museums already have

Kelly D'Angelo — Practical Argument: Problem important?

How do we know there is no/little learning/transfer/carry over? I mean, we assume there is very little, but talking about what David said, he went to a museum and remembers one exhibit. Is he any worse off from it? No. Is he any better from it? Maybe? How do we know? Is it possible that the experience, in the moment, was enriching for him without him having specific takeaways?

Trey Smith — Practical Argument: Problem important?

In terms of importance of the problem, I agree that museums (and their funders) care that visitors learn something. I think I might wonder, though, why these organizations care that the learner applies scientific terms while they're walking around in the world. Why do museums care about this? Are there basic orientations to the world, dispositions that might be something museums care about MORE than applying content knowledge learned at the museum to an in-the-world instance? In my mind, museums are much more focused on engaging learning instead of seeking to teach specific terms. At this point, I'm not sold on transfer task that we've been discussing during this feedback session as a problem museum really care about.

Spencer Carlson - That's really interesting -- so I think this gets at how you might be able to help museums have a larger impact that is proportional to the tiny amount of time learners spend in museums. What if students learn what doing science is really like for scientists, or have "a-ha" moments that help them to develop dispositions that make school classes more motivating for them? Thinking about museums as part of a system of learning experiences students have (incl. school, libraries, etc.) could be helpful in this case.

Kelly D'Angelo — General

I wonder what opportunity there is for partnership with schools and teachers- to create experiences that are better-framed with pre and post activities.

Spencer Carlson — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

I have questions about how practical your solution is -- sounds expensive. Is there a way to understand WHAT works so well in museums and think about less expensive ways of getting that essential, important bit without the costs of just making more museums? Because otherwise, in a sense this is becoming a policy answer - we should have more museums, or the whole world should be a museum.

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution backed by literature?

Why is playing with something like it happened in a museum instead of it being passive important/beneficial?

Sarah Gates — General

I think that you do address my directionailty issue actually! I think it's actually inherent or implied in the project, but I thought it might be good for you (potentially) to mention explicitly in the outline.

Allena Berry — Practical Argument: Learner mistakes important?

Q: Why can't museums learn from failure?

A: I think a more convincing argument would be that museums are failing their main objective (vs. potentially decreasing science learning)

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

Solution might not work if you don't find a museum to partner with

Sarah White — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

Have you considered an augmented reality app that the museum creates?

Christopher Leatherwood — Practical Argument: Solution likely to work?

Don't this just create another isolated museum experience?

Spencer Carlson — Practical Argument: Problem important?

#lookout I don't think museums are your learners. I think museum attendees are the learners, and the question is about supporting their learning in this "better" way you argue museums can uniquely provide.

The museum can still be the agent who cares (and as we talked about Friday, you can even make this about society because we have funded museums with lots of grant money!).

Spencer Carlson - Museums aren't your learners because you don't want to help them learn to provide this experience. You just want to know how they can provide the experience. Maybe once you figure out WHAT they should do, you'll realize it's hard for them to do that thing. Then you could do a project about how museums can learn to do that thing. But right now I think you are focusing on figuring out WHAT museums should do to help student learning extend beyond the museum visit.

Christopher Leatherwood — General

Shouldn't the agent be students?

example: Nov 14 2019, next week, 11/21/2019