Gulu's Conference Talk

Haoqi Zhang — General

I often think about, for any work:

Conceptual Contributions: more broadly, in the world of use of ethnography in education, how does your work change the way people should think about doing ethnography and design? Perhaps it changes their thoughts on where they should focus their energy (e.g., this is a new design space to think about that people weren't thinking about before), perhaps it enables new forms of interactions (e.g., we couldn't teach this way before, but if we could, what would it do)

Technical Contributions: Often, there is a "how" on how do you realize the conceptual contribution? What are the challenges for getting it to work? Here you may have new techniques / approaches / methods that make the conceptual contribution possible, that becomes your tool/hammer for getting such systems/interventions to work (not just the specific on you did, but also other ones that generally fit into the conceptual contribution)

System contributions: in your domain, what does your intervention enable that without your intervention/design, there is no such thing in the domain you are in? here is not as much about theory but just having a solution that works better, that gives a new way of doing things or new outcomes you didn't have before.

Natalia Smirnov — Audience relevance

Haoqi & Gulu
Most scholars use heteroglossia and third space as bridging into existing disciplinary practices
Gulu's contribution: Given journalism is a heteroglossic discipline, they are learning the discipline, already leverages various sources/voices -- but not in a typical disciplinary way -- but in a more inclusive (funds-of-knowledge-eqsue) way; ethnographic study of this intervention (through this theoretical perspective) reveals the tensions and possibilities of this practice; reveals potential places where support is needed

Leesha Maliakal — Overarching Argument

Think through relationship between journalism practices + third space + deep learning. Goal is to teach people how to engage with heteroglossia. Why? the more voices and sources you have access to, th emore resources you have to make sense of the world and yourself in the world - Matt's questions + Gulu's response

Anna Bethune — General

I really like the end. You made it feel important and relevant to all learning experiences #nice

Natalia Smirnov — Overarching Argument

"Young people need support in navigating heteroglossic world"

Daniel Rees Lewis — Audience relevance

I like how you link ethnographic work to the design part --"what's really exciting...". This feels like a relevant/strong rhetorical move for this audience.

Natalia Smirnov — Overarching Argument

Does contextualization just mean making sense of information using other (prior) information? Or making sense of voices using other voices? Did you say contextualization is an example of third space? #confused

Daniel Rees Lewis - Yeah -- I think you could dedicate more time connecting all of these ideas together #ialsohavethischallenge.

Leesha Maliakal — General

I didn't quite see the connection between idealogical contextualization & the matching quote, it seemed unclear compared to the previous two

Eureka Foong — Overarching Argument

I think it would be helpful to have a little bit of a roadmap or hint about what the findings are going to be before we learn about the details (i.e. scalar, ideological contextualization...)#trythis

Ellen Sarkisian — Audience relevance

Thinking about the audience and the importance of ethnographic research, it might be nice to hear a little more about your methods...Why did you choose to do both field notes and videos? Were there limitations to being both the teacher and the researcher? #trythis

Serene Yu — Audience relevance

During the "Geographical contextualization" section, I like the insights you summarized from student quotes

Eureka Foong — General

"affects" should be "effects" on Scalar Contextualization slide #tryagain

Pratap Jayaram — Overarching Argument

You spent some time explaining what a third space is and how it's relevant to journalism, but in your analysis/findings you sort of dropped the term. It would be cool to see it carried through to make the connection between the different parts of your talk. #trythis

Eureka Foong — Presentation Style

I felt most engaged when you were talking about the example, but I think your delivery could be better overall if you spoke a little slower.#tryagain

Deniz Alpay — General

#good pointing out your main result in a pop up box, #lookout for having text in the slides that go by really fast (alongside with a wordy presentation), I feel like I am missing parts of your results & discussion because both the text and the talk have rich concepts.

Julie Hui — General

I like slide 20 #nice #works #good #yay

Natalia Smirnov — General

3:34 first slide presenting data

Julie Hui — Presentation Style

slide 19 - is that supposed to say "Engaging with Everyday Sources"? #warning

Eureka Foong — General

Thanks for including a graphic to portray how you gathered episodes within events. I think the method slide confused me a little, maybe you could include the titles (e.g. "events") in the top left corner instead of the bottom left corner. #trythis

Julie Hui — General

I didn't fully understand the qualitaitve analysis slide. maybe give a quick example? #trythis

Natalia Smirnov — General

#warning it now sounds a bit like you're making an intervention into journalism in general rather than into learning environments for young people... why is this an important thing for young people to participate in?

Yongsung Kim — General

i didn't quite understand "engineering" + "studying" in the mtehod slide.

Pratap Jayaram — Overarching Argument

I feel like you maybe glossed over the importance of personal perspectives in the journalistic process. It's relevant to the work that your students did, but I don't think you really explained its value to journalism.

Yongsung Kim — General

#yay #good picture in data collection

Spencer Carlson — heteroglossia

I think I understood heteroglossia better before the definition slide -- I think a definition is useful if I have time to sit, read, and think about what each word means -- but because they're so wordy it just stresses me out to see one in a presentation because I'm worried I'll fall behind. I think the way you explained it before the definition slide was pretty good -- maybe just elaborate a bit and then you don't need the full definition?

Spencer Carlson - and then maybe help me solidify my understanding when you introduce your RQs by briefly explaining what heteroglossia means in the context of the RQ

Serene Yu — General

During your explanation of the third space, I would like to hear more about how the youth could gather and present different perspectives instead of marginalizing their community's voice

Natalia Smirnov — What to cut

Maybe a little too much over-explaining of how traditional journalism is problematic- could probably shorten and just focus on the parts that set up your study-- underrepresentation of minority voices and social context

Daniel Rees Lewis - Agree -- you got lots of early nods about the issues with journalism. I think you can make this point pretty quickly.

Eureka Foong — Presentation Style

You make lots of good points #yay , but.. it kind of feels like you're dictating things to us (could be just that there's a lot of points that you want to cover.) I wish I heard more pauses or if you went slower at times. What are the most important points in your speech? Could you just include these instead? #trythis

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

The wording for climate scientist vs. the non-climate scientist is tricky. Maybe "presented as having the same type of knowledge about climate change"?

Ellen Sarkisian — General

You tell us what a journalistic source is but your title for that slide is "journalistic source evaluation." Is there a difference? I think this might need to be explained more clearly.

Julie Hui — Presentation Style

Sometimes you end you questions like a question even when it's not a question. It's not bad to do once or twice, but just watch out for that #lookout

Pratap Jayaram — Overarching Argument

Killer breakdown of how journalistic evaluation can be flawed #nice

Emily Harburg - Love it.

Leesha Maliakal — General

could you connect the elite sources, attribution etc to misrepresentation? I understand why that would be the case, but in the talk the causation was unclear

Serene Yu — heteroglossia

I like how the same pictures connected journalism and the concept of heteroglossia.. would like to see the order of the bullets align with the order of pics

Daniel Rees Lewis — Presentation Style

When giving the examples make the explicit link back to your example -- "so, as with the Atlantic article I talked about earlier...."

Natalia Smirnov — heteroglossia

Not sure what it means when you say "sources that exist in heteroglossia" -- makes it sound like heteroglossia is more of a thing rather than a characteristic

Joey Shulman — heteroglossia

I think the examples you gave were great. The term was defined well and given a context.

Eureka Foong — heteroglossia

Could you sum up heteroglossia instead of reading the definition? I got lost. Maybe you could start with the example and explain how it is heteroglossic? That might help. #lookout

Pratap Jayaram — heteroglossia

It'd be nice to know what heteroglossia means before hearing why it's important

Deniz Alpay — Presentation Style

i love the Bakhtin reference! i am having trouble remembering what your goal was with this intro-first style because the intro concepts are very interesting.

Natalia Smirnov — heteroglossia

I like the casualness with which you introduce it -- maybe just in your speech mention that it's an idea that comes from Bakhtin

Leesha Maliakal — General

are those the main features of a journalistic article? why did you choose those?

example: Sep 25 2018, next week, 10/2/2018