Discipline List and Process Landing Enhancements

Robert Calvey — General

Does that nav bar live on the overall process page or just on the step pages?

Andy Rench - It will be everywhere on the process pages

Robert Calvey — General

Andy, I like the images better without the purple. Have you tried seeing what it looks like if the hover-state still has the purple?

Andy Rench - That could look nice

Andy Rench — General

Here's how the mini-nav works on scroll. It locks to the top of the screen.

Andy Rench — General

I though the purple-tinted photos was looking a little too heavy-handed so I tried something a little different. I like this version much better.

Matt Easterday — General

looks cool!

Andy Rench — General

I added a new comp for the process page: Instruction_Process_v15.jpg On this version I'm doing a simple hover on the boxes to show the description, link and projects using. I also added the option of having the backgrounds of the techniques blocks be a tinted photo of a team doing that technique. I tinted the photo to make sure the icon and text that overlay it will always be readable no matter the photo content.

Matt Easterday — General

Wow Andy -- from the user story side, this is great. It's both visually way more interesting, shows linearity/buckets and better communicates the connection between process/phase/method. I know you don't like the huge list, but I think it might be really good for students to see "the mass" because it shows why you need to be able to think at the phase level in order to make sense of it all. Another nice option is that you could potentially add the google image "zoom in" feature that Brantley was talking about to do summaries of the methods. I also can't believe you got everything to fit on one page! #love

Andy Rench - Thanks Matt! Ohh -- I like that image zoom idea on that view. I will try that.

Andy Rench — General

I added a new mockup for the Process page: instructionProcess_v13.pdf

Here's a few thoughts I had on the design:

* I added optional tabs on the top for multiple process viewing.

* The first page of the PDF shows the state where no process phase has been selected and all the techniques are shown. I'm using the DFA process as an example here but for the sake of space I left off 30 more techniques that would be shown here. I'm showing this mostly because it was requested, but I'm leaning towards not having this view as part of the page. There's just too many techniques to show and I'm not certain what the benefit of showing them unorganized like this would be. We could have the boxes smaller in this view, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of this redesign and we're back to a bunch of boring, text-heavy lists.

* The seconds page shows how the page would look with one phase selected. This view shows the groupings and extra descriptions and concepts. The benefit here is we can eliminate the grouping template because it's now folded into the process page.

* I also have a close button on the page that would close the phase group view and go back to showing all the techniques like page 1. But again, I'm recommending we don't have this option and just have the initial view of the page be the first phase auto-selected.

Daniel Rees Lewis - This is very cool Andy! What did you envisage happening when the name of the processes are very long? I guess just have a cut off point and a '...' at the end?

Andy Rench - Yes, ellipsis is probably the best bet. I can add a really long name in the design if you have one in mind.

Daniel Rees Lewis - What about: Digital Design for Social Change - the Roosevelt Institute and Young Invincibles.

Daniel Rees Lewis - I went for long name in our current process + organization + another organization that wants to get in on the act. Maybe remove the Young Invincibles, but I think this is a reasonable outlier.

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

From the meeting: Rob wants to make sure that there is a place to describe the process and each phase.

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

From the meeting: Brant -- we need to get outside of the box! One possibility (thought of by Andy) is that you could use google image type functionality to expand a bar to see the methods/details/people/cases or something else.

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

From the meeting: how to show more activity on the page?

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

From the meeting: how to incorporate all of the phase details (groupings)

Andy Rench — General

I have a new comp uploaded for the Process page. I think I've got a design that satisfies the need for Twitter-short descriptions and a horizontal layout. The idea is that you click the process step and the associated activities appear below. I also added a "Learn more" button that could take you to a discourse page with more details on the process. You can leave quick comments here, but I think we'll get the most feedback in our in-person meeting Thursday.

Matt Easterday - yeah cool! (I'll restrain myself to that and only clarification comments until tomorrow):

Matt Easterday - Clarification questions: (a) how do you click "off" a phase to see all the methods at once?

Andy Rench - That's a good question. Right now there isn't a way to do that.

Andy Rench - See new file Instruction_Process_v12a.jpg for an update that addresses this. Up for discussion whether we should have all the methods shown upfront. The danger there is then it may not be obvious that you can click to filter. Also, should we be calling them 'methods' instead of 'activities'?

Matt Easterday - I vote for show all at the beginning. We had a terminology battle with DFA a long time ago, but those people have left. I think we settled on "techniques" which is fine with me. So techniques or methods is better than activities.

Amazing! #love

Sergio Salgado — General

No it's good, clean, and simple. Green light?

Matt Easterday - Looks good to me -- Brantley?

Matt Easterday — General

Hey Andy, I showed Liz and Elizabeth Hunter (worked on the pitch curriculum) the wireframe of the tutorial page and they were really excited to have something like that on the Loft. I think the tutorial overview page would need some extra descriptive information (see what Cassie made here: http://ccoravos.wix.com/pitchvideo-1 ). Also, if you need to dump the discourse document to another page that's fine too.

Andy Rench — General

See files guidesList_0000_1.jpg and guidesList_0002_2.jpg. Removed favorites, de-emphasized Explore section.

Matt Easterday - Hey Andy -- big improvements! but I'll defer to the others

Robert Calvey - Andy I like the visuals on the page. one question, if "My current Guide" also happens to be one of the "Recommended Guides" (Which I think will typically be the case) does a link to that guide show up twice?

Matt Easterday - Hey Rob -- we can do it either way but I think it's better if not. Was that a rhetorical question?

Andy Rench - Agreed, better if not repeated.

Robert Calvey - Cool, wasn't rhetorical. I think it is better to not show up twice. Does that mean it looks strange for networks that only have 1 or 2 recommended guides? Often times there would need to be 4 guides attached to a network for that section to really fill out which may be a lot, at least initially.

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

This is really awesome. I'm pretty sure DFA will give us the same response though - they won't want to see (and will be confused by) non-DFA related material. Rob might we worth asking about this though.

Robert Calvey - I got feedback on a call yesterday that one of the reason why Wash U had not created its projects yet was that Libby, who's the one making the projects for the studio, didn't know which process to add each project to. Maybe it takes an additional set of clicks to explore processes that aren't directly related to your network?

Matt Easterday - Hey Rob -- do you mean she had trouble after clicking on the "add project" button . You have to select the discipline from a drop down which shows all the open processes (maybe more?). There are 4 different process prepended with DFA so that might confuse her as well.

Robert Calvey - It may have been a combination of both, I will try to ask when I go downto STL this weekend

Andy Rench — General

This is just an update from DisciplineListWireframe_v2.pdf showing how we could have recommended processes featured at the top of the "Explore Processes" section.

Matt Easterday - #awesome ooh, this is really nice. I like having the dense version of the favorites that I can quickly scan but a beautiful enticing display of everything else

Andy Rench — General

This is a simple wireframe based on the "Make a Crowdfunding Video" site. This one just shows videos, but I'm assuming we'd want a template that could accommodate text/images as well. I really just just threw this up there knowing it needs some #fixit but hopefully it could be the start of a conversation to get some more requirements from everyone.

Matt Easterday - yeah #awesome! We could also say no videos if that makes it complicated. As long as you can see a linear, step-by-step version of the design process rather than the totally open "expert" version that we've been using. I imagine that for many disciplines we'll have our normal process and one or more "tutorial" versions that make it easier for newbees.

Robert Calvey — General

Earlier when we were first having discussions about bringing the Studio Guide onto the Loft, there was a lot of discussion about how the Studio Guide is not a process, and it had to graphically look different which is why the grid system was originally chosen for the "process with pillars" vs. the more step-by-step display of the design process. How does this shift towards a more grid like appearance affect peoples understanding of something that is a process vs. something that is a bucket?

Andy Rench - My understanding of how we should be portraying a process is that there are steps in succession but the process shouldn't necessarily be linear. Bouncing between process steps and revisiting them should be encouraged. The new layout would reinforce both the non-linear aspects of a process and the completely non-linear bucket approach. That being said, a "process with pillars" could have the next/prev nav removed from the context menus to reinforce its non-linearity too.

Matt Easterday - Yeah I think this new design strikes a good balance. Having the arrows in the nav and also on all the hovers gives enough of the linearity feeling (I hope). I think we really do need the graphics though to make it more interesting.

Robert Calvey — General

First, this all looks great. I do like the current feature where projects that are using a process show up as an image on the process page. I don't know if that sort of crowd sources imagery could also show up on other parts of the process?

Andy Rench - We have an image area on the activity detail page now, is that the sort of imagery you're talking about? Or are you suggesting something more?

Robert Calvey - I think that was more a half baked thought around the question "How do we show all the activity that teams are doing around the process?" Not sure if that question is in the scope of the current design push or not.

Matt Easterday — General

Another issue related to the nav: when you favorite a discipline, it shows up in your "favorites" section in the discipline list page as well as the project nav. Do we need to have separate buttons to indicate if it should go in the favorites list and if it should go in the nav? For example, if you want all your followed, mentored, member projects to be favorited, does that make the nav list too long?

Andy Rench - Maybe we have favorites show up in both the nav and favorites section and create another area on the list page that takes a cue from a shopping site's "You might also like..." functionality that would show other processes within your network. This way you can manage your favorites with more control and make it a manageable list.

Andy Rench - But to answer your question, "if you want all your followed, mentored, member projects to be favorited, does that make the nav list too long?" I would say yes, that's too long. But I'd also say if you did that then you are using favorites in a way it wasn't intended to be used and you'd probably change your behavior. If it gets overused we probably should cap how many show up in the nav list.

Matt Easterday - The "you might also like..." sounds like a good idea

Matt Easterday - re "too long nav" -- OK, let's try it

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

Right now we are seeing 4 types of relationships that users have to processes/disciplines: 1) main process that I am using for my project (for DFA this is either the DFA Design Process or the DFA Studio Guide) -- currently some users have two of these. 2) Network or Studio sanctioned/owned processes that I'm not using now but I should be more aware of and have a high chance of using later (for most in DFA this is the DFA Pitch Curriculum and the DFA Studio Guide). 3) Process that are on the Loft but I am interested in (I have seen some of the fellows show interest in other processes). 4) All other processes (that is - don't know, don't care, or both). I think that we have these covered with the functionality here.

Daniel Rees Lewis - One thing I would say is that for the favorites, we might want some of these to be automatically favorited based on your network. So DFA members might have the DFA process up top. The studio guide and pitch curriculum also favorited.

Daniel Rees Lewis - One more thing -- the feedback I have got is that students don't really want to see the other processes that are not a part of their network. It's confusing & feels like they've left their network without really requesting it. I would favor the other processes to be hidden unless you click on explore processes.

Matt Easterday - Once we have the ability to favorite, we can show those in the navs -- my guess is that students will rarely go to this page b/c they will only need it for the sake of choosing their favorites.

Daniel Rees Lewis - Yep -- Julian and Brandon and been bugging me to have all their processes on the nav.

Andy Rench - I think having other processes hidden or collapsed would be ok if we have the "You might also like..." or 'Recommended" section.

Andy Rench - Yes, now reading Matt's comment again, maybe we leave exploring open since it's not going to be a page used for everyday use.

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

We had a previous version with hover-over boxes and descriptions way back in the day. The issue we found is that people wanted to see all of the descriptions of the phases so they could quickly scan between them & compare them. This is especially the case with those learning process. The current design allows for this nicely.

Daniel Rees Lewis - I guess that this is the trade-off between: 1) users wanting it to feel like a more alive and exciting page (which often means less text), and 2) wanting to be able to quickly understand and compare the phases.

Andy Rench - I feel like the last 2 designs focused on the text-heavy approach with mixed results. Seems we should probably try the more graphic approach to see how people respond.

Daniel Rees Lewis - I agree, but I'd argue with having a twitter short explanation for each phases (like in Matt's class: http://loft.io/process/learning/) show up at all times.

Andy Rench - Twitter-short is #awesome if we can enforce it.

Daniel Rees Lewis - Let's enforce that on the system :)

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

What happens if there is an odd number of boxes -- this could make the design break down a bit.

Andy Rench - I could play with this in the design a bit. Most likely there won't be any way of avoiding it, but I can do my best to not make it look weird. With Designkit's methods section it looks like they are using some kind of fancy masonry script to alter the size of the boxes to magically fill the space evenly. That's pretty cool, but I'm not so sure I should steal that and it doesn't really match the type of grids we've been using in other parts of the site.

Daniel Rees Lewis — General

High level -- this is #awesome -- and addresses some of the issues we've felt and feedback we've received about the instruction pages needing to feel more alive.

Matt Easterday — General

Hey Andy -- positive comments on Pivotal previously, and wanted to add some thoughts about the problems presented by DFA pitch curriculum and DFA (paper) process guide. I uploaded a jpg to the files section here: http://loft.io/discourse/attachments/project/project/22/idea%20-%20DFA%20workarounds.jpg with 2 points: (1) could we have "tutorials" in the process listing page? These would be a simplified discipline with a landing page that describes a linear tutorial sequence. The tutorial page would just end up going to a phase page (or something almost identical. (2) could we have a "read more" link on the discipline page that takes you to a linear sequence of discourse documents. These would be a sequential list of pages to read like a book. I'm not sure that either of these are good ideas, but they would simple ways to incorporate the existing content that DFA is having trouble or purposely avoiding putting on the Loft.

Daniel Rees Lewis - Is this a #roadblock?

Matt Easterday - nope it's #awesome :-) But more seriously, this would be expanding the flexibility of the Process section (soon to be called the "Guides" section) to deal with issues we haven't addressed yet. I think the DFA pitch tutorial issue should definitely be addressed. I'm not as sure about how much to accommodate the DFA paper process guide -- I think there is a place for it but am not sure

Andy Rench - I like this direction and what you outlined helps me understand the #roadblock that DFA is running into. I definitely think we could have tutorials and processes living side-by-side. I worry a little about the extra step we adding to the "read more" link on the discipline page. Is this creating too many clicks to get to the content?

Andy Rench - What are some examples of DFA paper process guides? I'd like to see what could be appropriate for a template for these.

Robert Calvey - If I understand Matt correctly, I think he is talking about the hard copy of the process guide? There is a copy in Delta Lab that we can look at during the next meeting.

Andy Rench — General

Please take a look at DisciplineListWireframe_v2.pdf and ProcessWireframe_v1.pdf and provide feedback. I won't really be able to show off how these are going to be more exciting until I get into Photoshop mockups, but these should be a starting point.

On the Discipline list page I beefed up the current process area with a full photo (or a default image if no photo is selected) and quick links to the process steps. I added a star system so you can favorite certain processes and have them show near the top in the My Favorites section. On the second page you can see how you could get move information on hover (or maybe I might change that to click). The expanded context shows other projects using the process and a short description of the process.

On the Process landing page I added a lot more imagery to make it a little more exciting. There's an optional large background photo and each process step is a colorful box on the grid. On hover (or maybe click) you'd get the context info for each process step which gives you the description and lets you know what step is previous or next. I know this version doesn't have the explicit linear cues that the old layouts had, but I think the prev/next hints in the context view and the breadcrumbs up top reinforce the linearity while keeping it somewhat less rigid and open to non-linear working.

example: Sep 25 2018, next week, 10/2/2018