Review project scope with mentor
A project scoping packet that defines the challenge and who the team will be working with.
- DFA UC Davis
- Scoping presentation for your mentor
Less than 10 slides to be shown to your mentor about your project scoping ideas; one that defines the challenge and who the team will be working with.
- Feedback synthesis on scoping presentation
Less than 1 page summary on your mentors' feedback about your scoping process, to be shared with the rest of your project team.
Before wrapping up your scoping process, it’s helpful to get feedback from a mentor to get direction at the beginning of the project. Projects that have not been scoped well often face roadblocks during the term for spending too much time narrowing down on their scope, not having a focused user group, or trying to solve everything! Having a well-scoped project is the very first step to achieving success in your project and involving your mentors in this process will aid you tremendously.
Effective ways to do this include:
- Review the Identify 1-pager to help you prepare for your meeting.
- Identify mutual interest between the mentor and team in the project topic.
- Make sure your mentor is familiar with DFA and the design process. If not, come prepared with materials to explain the process.
2. Check your challenge - What makes a good DFA project?
- Review the DFA scoping wheel and answer the questions to ensure you are focusing on a social issue!
- Focus on a social challenge
- Is it Daring? Feasible? Applicable?
3. Outline clear outcomes
- Outcomes can vary based on the type and timing of the project but all DFA projects should have insights based on user research, new ideas to solve the reframed problem, prototypes that have been tested with users, and design recommendations to move the problem forward.
- Work with accessible local users, stakeholders, and mentor groups
4. Identify local organizations and experts working in the challenge area will build the support system around the project, ensuring learnings and outcomes.